The Imperial Army consists of two parts – the Imperial forces and the auxiliary units. All come under the command of the Emperor and the Imperial commanders in each military area, the main difference is that the Imperial forces are paid for by the central treasury in Constantinople whilst auxiliary units are raised and paid for by the provinces where they are based. In times of war or by Imperial Decree Auxiliary units can be deployed outside their province.
The current structure of the Imperial Army reflects the re-organisation in the mid 19th century that saw the revival of historical legionary and other units from the early Empire period. Legions were formed from a number of regiments and cavalry and infantry formations renamed as Auxilia Cataphractii and the Auxilia Palatina. Militia units were renamed Auxiliaries and numbered and named after the new provincial organisation that also mirrored the Empire of the 1st to 4th Centuries AD. In 1889, the previous Emperor Philip III reintroduced the Eagle as the standard of the Legions overriding religious objections that it was a pagan symbol.
At full strength the Imperial Armed forces total in excess of 850,000 with 660,000 in the Imperial Army and 190,000 in the Imperial Navy. About 65% of these numbers actually serve in combat units with the rest in support, training, administration etc. Of the 660,000 men in the army approximately 150,000 are provincial auxiliaries. 90,000 troops are stationed in the colonies of which 62,000 are colonial auxiliaries.
The current economic recession means that most units are between 5% and 20% short of their establishment in terms of manpower and equipment.